The SDGs Leadership Council is the policy advocacy arm of the initiative aimed at identifying actionable strategies & policies that can accelerate development pertaining to different goals and create a sustainable environment at all levels. This committee is a focused group of leaders, policy makers, NGOs and celebrities who works together towards achieving Agenda 2030. This committee will present an annual report of its findings to all relevant stakeholders and will play a key role in complementing governments’ efforts to achieve the country’s objectives by working very closely with state level leadership Council. The committee consist of 12 experts representing all key links in the respective goal value chain. It is expected to meet quarterly to define a clear roadmap on how this collective wisdom of the changemakers can be converted into action on ground.
Targeted activities by the Council
- White Papers
- Action oriented ground activities
- Communication and capacity building
- Knowledge sharing
- Targeting activities for one of the sub-goals to start immediately
More and more countries are experiencing water stress, and increasing drought and desertification is already worsening these trends. By 2050, it is projected that at least one in four people will suffer recurring water shortages.
Sustainable management of water resources and access to safe water and sanitation are essential for unlocking economic growth and productivity and provide significant leverage for existing investments. Safe and affordable drinking water for all by 2030 requires that we invest in adequate infrastructure, provide sanitation facilities, and encourage hygiene. Protecting and restoring water-related ecosystems is essential. Ensuring universal safe and affordable drinking water involves reaching over 800 million people who lack basic services and improving accessibility and safety of services for over two billion.
UN explains: "Clean water is a basic human need, and one that should be easily accessible to all. There is enough fresh water on the planet to achieve this. However, due to poor infrastructure, investment and planning, every year millions of people — most of them children — die from diseases associated with inadequate water supply, sanitation and hygiene." It calls for more research and development, increased financing, and strengthened capacity of all countries in water management.
Tasks for the council
- The committee will track and work on the following targets of Goal# 6
- Safe and affordable drinking water
- End open defecation and provide access so sanitation and hygiene
- Improve water quality, wastewater treatment and safe reuse
- Increase water-use efficiency and ensure freshwater supplies
- Implement integrated water resources management
- Protect and restore water-related ecosystems
- Expand water and sanitation support to developing countries
- Support local engagement in water and sanitation management
The Times Group is India’s largest media conglomerate (source: Financial Times, March 2015), with interests across diverse media encompassing publishing, television, internet, radio and outdoor. The Times Group now has flagship media vehicles such as The Economic Times, ET Now, The Times of India, Times Now, Indiatimes.com and many more that span diverse topics like business, real estate, topical issues, art, culture, economics and more. The group is synonymous with integrity, reform and progress for India and has been an unshakeable beacon of truth, justice and the power of honest journalism. With the support of our large network across the country including the media personals, response groups and others, the initiatives of the committee can be executed and spread across the nation. With the diverse group of experts at the same platform, we can plan to collaborate and contribute collectively to the activities of the SDG’s. This can help inspire several stakeholders across the country.
Benefits to the ET SDG Leadership Council
- ET Edge will be the facilitator for all the activities within the council
- ET Edge will provide visibility to the members on all media platforms
- We can include random articles, interviews and surveys on the website
- Members get the opportunity to network with other executive members from the industry
- All the work the council decides to do under the Goal 6, will be coordinated by ET Edge
- All the members will be part of the ET SDG Summit which is a flagship event of ET Edge
Rajiv Ranjan Mishra
National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG)
O P Agarwal
Chief Executive Officer
Dr. Arvind Kumar
President and Founder
India Water Foundation
Dr. Prasoom Dwivedi PHd.
Prof. (Deptt. Of Civil Engineering)
Dr. V C Goyal
National Institute of Hydrology, Roorkee
Director, Strategy and Brand
For more details, e-mail us: firstname.lastname@example.org